Four more letters towards my #44lettersmore project. I have 30 letters so far. I’m unsure if these are done , they might need something a little darker. Also my spectacles crashed to the floor and split in two. So I’m working with an older pair… This might explain a lot .
which I do three to four times a week now. The difference with today’s practice is that I rescheduled my yoga to immediately after I got up this morning. I followed through on an intention to practice at a specific time. For this I gain clarity and presence. It’s remarkable what a shift in schedule and attitude can do!
What have you altered that makes a difference to your day ?
#100 Day Result. Time lapse photo, As in a month has passed since its completion. Flouting the rules of marketing, always the rebel. But honest.
It was coincidence that the warm and cool colours balanced 50/50. A happy accident I’d say. Towards the end of the project, around day 75, the compositions became more abstract, with the shapes and tonal values of the letters and ground stitch merging together. I found my process.
And the fonts that have contrast are more identifiable, especially the the pale letters against the ground fabric. Like the signage on a road, which is apt since its where I’ve spent much of my time. On the road. Another rebel story.
This is a fast and slow process. It is about the speedy sewing machine, where the fabric is manipulated with free flowing movement. The machine whip stitch causes the bobbin thread to be pulled to the top, creating little dots and pulls around the circles, echoing the edge stitch of the letter. I like this spontenaiety.
Then it’s slow and purposeful, stitching by hand to define the letter. The choice of colour and weight of thread influence the outcome. Using the same thread on the letter as on the back ground creates balance, using a weightier thread brings colour and texture to the surface.
The letters are growing in number. It’s time for a little fun, (or pun !) time for a word game and this is what I came up with. I especially like the vibrancy of ‘opens’.
I’m stitching a world on the reverse of the dress now. New story threads and new words will be added.
At the present I am in an ocean of stitches, laying down texture for my next beautiful word.
I’m catching a ride on the fresh energy of spring towards the promise of high days, bright days, colour and blooms. My # 100 Days of Beautiful Words will take me there, July 14th to be exact, when this project reaches completion, to bloom in all it’s glory.
Now I’m as surprised as you that I’m joining in #100 Days of Making and my curiosity is growing as I imagine a stack of stitched cloths, piled high and complete.
In my intro on Instagram, I opened with ‘I’m not a fan of discipline’…as a means of setting the scene and I planned to expand on this, here on the blog. But you know what ? I realised that this approach is just a pre project disclaimer, my get out clause, setting up excuses before I even start ! An inkling, a hint, in case I fail.
No! Not this time.
My intention is to hand cut, hand stitch little cloth letters and words, each day- starting tomorrow April 6th for 100 days until July 14th 2015. To make beautiful words that have meaning for me, to be open to the process and to learn what commitment and discipline really mean.
I’m sharing my progress, warts and all here, so please do follow along, or better still, why not join in yourself ?
Here are the details : #100 Days of Making
All these lovely people joined in Hope in Your Handbag™ taster workshop at Lambeth Country Show .They learned raw edge applique and stitched a small sample.It was a planned one hour workshop, we did two in the end. Here’s what I learned…children are decisive and focused, everyone finished their work, I love open air workshops…that I missed the camel racing and a falcon can break bone with it’s beak! Lambeth Country Show, a summer two day event at Brockwell Park, Brixton, is full of surprises.
Instead of unpicking the white letters I added more, which adds a raised dimension and sets the letters in relief. I used a plain weave white cloth and stitched coloured thread to soften the edges. I made a feature of the ‘Y’ using gingham and a different font , notice how the new yellow stitches around the ‘e’ accentuates it.
For a lucid approach to decision making check out this